Wednesday, September 7, 2011

GOP Debate at the Reagan Library

Tonight I watched the second GOP debate held at the Reagan Library.  Compared to the first Republican debate, this seemed cordial and productive, which still isn't saying much.  Thankfully, there was less Obama-bashing (...although he was still treated like a pinata), and less bickering between the candidates.  A big part of that should be attributed to the fact it was broadcast on MSNBC rather than FOX.  Still, this group of GOP candidates has set such a low bar in terms of insightful and logical thought, my compliments are a stretch.  There is a lot I could comment on, but I wanted to document my general feelings toward each candidate.  A big part of my reaction was based on how directly they answered questions, and if they used a 'safety net' of Obama/candidate-bashing when they didn't know how to respond.  Here are my general thoughts on the candidates:

Mitt Romney:  I believe it when people say he has grown leaps and bounds as a Presidential candidate over the past four years.  I'm not saying I agree with everything he says, but for the most part he was direct, confident and well thought-out with his answers.  I cringe each time he has to defend his implementation of universal healthcare in Massachusetts, but that's where things are at.  I still believe he will outlast the rest of this field to contest Obama.

Rick Perry:  Frankly, I think his candidacy is a joke.  He repeats the same thing over and over:  Jobs, Economy, Texas, Jobs, America.  He prides himself on being a job-creating mastermind in Texas, which is misleading in so many ways.  Even if that were true, his IQ on all other issues is frighteningly poor.  I get that the economy is the big issue in the 2012 debate, but that doesn't mean a candidate who knows jack s*&$ about everything else should be able to run.  On the topics of climate change, social security, immigration, and foreign policy he had nothing insightful to offer.  He was noticeably rattled with questions toward the end of the debate and...minor detail...call Social Security a Ponzi scheme.  How can we think of electing somebody who disregards science, as it pertains to climate change, as "unsettled."  This isn't only a joke, its scary.  Simply put, he makes Mitt Romney look like Abraham Lincoln.

Jon Huntsman:  I believe Huntsman is the most credible, impressive candidate on the Republican side.  He comes across as balanced and compassionate compared to the others.  I believe he is much more moderate than he will get credit for, being alongside these other Tea Partyers.  Its refreshing to hear his thoughts on climate change, immigration, and foreign policy with China.  He was the only individual to state that he would not make hasty pledges regarding taxes because it compromises your ability to think critically and lead in the future.  What a novel concept.  If the other GOP candidates thought like Huntsman seems to think, I wouldn't be so worried.

Bachmann:  She seemed much more reserved and logical than her first debate.  Unfortunately for her, this probably means she will continue to lose ground to Romney and Perry.  I hate to say it, but I feel like she is a better candidate than Rick Perry.  For the most part tonight her responses were well thought-out, but in the GOP that doesn't equal more support.

Ron Paul:  I respect the guy a lot, and I enjoy listening to his views because I feel they are free from bias and bullshit.  He is genuine and intelligent, but that won't be enough it seems.  While he may be permanently stuck in the 2nd tier of Republican candidates, its worth listening to his platform so we can see what it looks like when a conservative politician isn't corrupted by conflicts of interest, or sheer ignorance.

Newt:  Why was he invited?

Cain:  See Newt comment.  Stick with pizza dude.

Santorum:  Seems smart enough, but he's fighting a losing battle at this point.

Let me know your thoughts!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was only able to catch the last half hour of the debate, but I think your comments hit it on the head. I saw all of the candidates speak at least once, and all of them dodged the actual questions they were asked.

    I really appreciate Huntsman's views, and think if he won the candidacy, we could see some very intellectual debates between he and Obama during the election...but I think he is too moderate to actually win the primary.

    Nice post, I miss ya cuz!

    ReplyDelete